Greek-Style Stuffed Peppers
What You’ll Need:
- 1 pound lean ground beef (Ground lamb would be a great substitute if you like lamb!)
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1 medium zucchini, coarsely grated
- 1 small onion, minced
- 1/2 cup bulghur (or cooked rice)
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2-3/4 tsp salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 red bell peppers, halved lengthwise, cores and ribs removed
- 2 (14 1/2-ounce) cans stewed tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (recommend “Pastures of Eden” from Trader Joe’s)
What To Do:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large bowl combine the beef, spinach, zucchini, onion, bulgur, egg, oregano, salt and a few grinds of pepper. Mix until thoroughly combined.
- Arrange the pepper halves cut side up in a 9 by 13-inch baking dish and fill each pepper half with the meat mixture. Pour the tomatoes over the peppers and sprinkle with the feta cheese.
- Cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake until the meat mixture is completely cooked and the peppers are tender, about 25 minutes longer or until center reads 160 degrees F with meat thermometer for medium wellness.
This delicious recipe was provided by ELLIE KRIEGER and featured at FoodNetwork.com.