Chorizo and Manchego Cheese Puffs
What You’ll Need:
- medium sauce pan, wooden spoon, rubber spatula, mini muffin tin (preferable), oven
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter, room temp, cut into small pieces
- 1 c water
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 and 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 5 large eggs, room temp (crack in bowl prior to beginning preparation and let sit)
- 1 c Manchego cheese
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
- 10 oz uncooked Chorizo, casing removed & finely chopped
- crème fraîche or sour cream (I prefer the crème fraîche)
- chives, finely cut
What to do:
- Pre-heat oven to 45o F.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, water and salt. Bring to a boil stirring often, just until there are small bubbles on the edges.
- Immediately pour in the flour all at once and stir it quickly with a wooden spoon until mixture is smooth.
- Put the mixture back on the stove at low heat and continue stirring until there are no lumps and there is a slight “toasting” smell.
- Remove pan from heat and add eggs, ONE AT A TIME, working the dough as little as possible.
- Add cheese, red pepper and chorizo with a rubber spatula.
- Spoon small rounds of the dough mixture into the bottom of the muffin tins. Be sure to wipe away excess drips on the pan and edges of the muffin holders.
- Bake until pastry is puffed and golden, about 15-20 min. Cool on wire cooling racks. Makes about 45-50 puffs.
- Provide crème fraîche or sour cream and chives to garnish with each bite.
** This fabulous recipe was provided by NOTHING TO IT COOKING SCHOOL in Reno, NV. Visit NothingToIt.com for a class schedule, newsletter, and a glance at their deli menu!