Around this time each year, many homeowners decide to wait until after the holidays to list their houses. Similarly, others who already have their homes on the market remove their listings until the spring. Let’s unpack the top reasons why listing your house now or keeping it on the market this winter may be the best choice you can make.
Here are Seven Great Reasons Not to Wait:
1. Relocation buyers are out there now. Many companies are still hiring throughout the holidays, and they need their new employees to start as soon as possible.
2. Purchasers who are looking for homes during the holidays are serious buyers and are ready to buy now.
3. You can restrict the showings on your home to days and times that are most convenient for you. You will remain in control.
4. Homes show better when decorated for the holidays.
5. There is minimal competition for you as a seller right now. Over the past few months and year-over-year, we’ve seen the supply of homes for sale decreasing.
6. The desire to own a home doesn’t stop during the holidays. Buyers who were unable to find their dream homes during the busy spring and summer months are still searching, and your home may be the answer.
7. Late fall and early winter make up the “sweet spot” for sellers. The supply of listings increases substantially after the holidays. Also, in many parts of the country, new construction will continue to surge and reach new heights in 2020, which will lessen the demand for your house next year.
Not exclusive of the residential real estate market, the price of any item is determined by the theory of ‘supply and demand.’ If many people are looking to buy an item and the supply of that item is limited, the price of that item increases.
Historically, the supply of homes for sale dramatically increases every spring, according to the National Association of Realtors (NAR). As an example, here is what happened to housing inventory in 2018:
Putting your home on the market now, rather than waiting for increased competition in the spring, might make a lot of sense. THE BOTTOM LINE: Buyers in the market during the winter are truly motivated purchasers and they are more likely to want to buy now. With limited inventory currently available in most markets, sellers are in a great position to negotiate.
Contact me today so I can effectively market and sell your home before the competition creeps in.