** Data in this the August Market Report reflect market activity from JULY 2022 compared to the previous month and year. Information is gathered from the Reno-Sparks Association of Realtors® (RSAR) for the Greater Reno-Sparks region via Northern Nevada Regional Multiple Listing Service (www.nnrmls.com). Data accounts for single-family resale residences only, and excludes townhouses/condos, manufactured/modular and new construction.
- The Median Sales Price (MSP) in Reno-Sparks dipped for the second consecutive month, down 4.2% from $600,000 to $574,510. However, the MSP is still 9.4% higher than in July 2021.
- While the Median Sales Price (MSP) in Reno dropped 6.3% month-over-month, the MSP in Sparks inched down 0.5% to $547,480 compared to last month. The MSI is still 8.2% and 9.5% higher respectively compared to July last year.
- Closed Sales are down 7.2% compared to June 2022 and down 34% compared to July 2021.
- Month-over-month, the Sold Price per Square Foot in July 2022 dropped 2.1% month-over-month and is 11.1% higher than July last year.
- Not surprisingly, the $1.5M+ priced homes led the pack with a Sold Price per Square Foot of $535, while the Median Price per Square Foot all price-points in July 2022 was $320.
- One of the biggest changes Sellers have been facing in today’s shifting market is the “Months Supply of Inventory (MSI).” Over the last few months, MSI shifted from 0.8 MSI to 3.2 MSI. Month-over-month, the MSI increase by 17.6% and year-over-year it increased 291%. A true “balanced market” is approximately 5-7 months supply.
- Properties priced in the $1M to $1.5M range have inched into the balanced market while $200k-$300k and $1.5M+ priced properties were officially in the Buyer’s Market range in July 2022.
- Naturally, with the rate of sales declining (as seen in the MSI numbers), the median Days to Contract is a contributing factor of that slow-down we are experiencing. The median number of days to contract for sale has increased from 14 to 25, a 78.6% increase month-over-month, and a 316.7% leap year-over-year. However… take a look over the last several years… the Median Days to Contract is still WELL below the peaks of 2013, 2016, 2018, & 2019.
- The graph above illustrates the breakdown of median Days to Contract by price range.
- New Pending Sales increased 11.3% from June to July 2022. There are 24.4% fewer New Pending Sales compared to last year.
- We saw 20.7% fewer New Listings month-over-month and 7.9% fewer New Listings compared to last year.
OTHER INTERESTING STATS TO KEEP AN EYE ON:
- Keeping an eye on the distressed sale market, at this point, we are still NOT seeing that recent market activity is causing more properties to be sold as foreclosures. Short-sales are few and far between due to the great amount of equity many home owners currently have in their properties.
- The % of Cash Purchases has declined 7.8% month-over-month for all single family sales in Reno-Sparks and are 11.1% higher than last year. 25.2% of all sales in July 2022 were cash.
- Expired and Withdrawn Listings are on the rise! We saw a 235% increase in these occurrences compared to last year.
- The Median Sales Price (MSP) in July 2022 was $574,510 in Reno-Sparks, NV, a decreased 4.2% month-over-month. The MSP is 9.4% higher than July last year. While the Sparks market did not realize a significant drop in its MSP, Reno’s MSP dropped 8.3% month-over-month.
- And while New Pending Sales increased in July 2022, New Listings declined.
- Days to Contract continue to rise, and are now 25 Median days from listing to accepted offer.
- While the market feels significantly slower that it has been over the last couple of years, looking at graphs over past years of sales, it is clear that we are swinging the pendulum back to what is more “normal” activity. The effects that COVID-Times and historically low interest rates had on real estate were most definitely abnormal and could not be sustained. This correction is exactly what the market was bound to do and SHOULD do.
- News for Sellers!! Though the market is slower, it is not dead. Buyers are out there, you just need to professionally present your well-maintained property, price it well and possibly get a little creative with potential incentives for your Buyer.
- Good news for Buyers!! According to Forbes.com, today (Aug 16, 2022), the average rate on a 30-year fixed mortgage is 5.50%, according to Bankrate.com. On a 15-year fixed mortgage, the average rate is 4.94%. This does not seem out of control. Multiple offer scenarios, though not completely eliminated for extremely desirable and well-priced homes, are not as common as they have been during our recent 2-year boom.
Do you need expert guidance for your next real estate purchase or sale? As a Buyer, you have more negotiating power than you have in many years, so this may be the time to leverage your next purchase. Sellers… Let’s meet to strategize about how to price your property strategically in our marketplace and present it professionally. I am here for you, whatever your real estate needs are. Email me at email@example.com or reach by cell at 775-233-0682 so we can discuss the best plan for YOU!
~Denise Hallerbach, Broker-Owner, INTERO RENO.