Chicken Enchiladas in Sour Cream Verde Sauce w/ Asparagus
What You Need:
- ~3 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2-3 lb asparagus, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/3 cup yellow or white onion, chopped
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2.5 oz can black olives, chopped
- 3-4 cups Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup flour
- 4 cups chicken broth (used from cooking the chicken)
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup salsa verde (green salsa)
- 1 dozen flour tortillas (I recommend using Guerrero’s Soft Taco Flour Tortillas)
- a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro. chopped
- 2 9×13 baking dishes
What To Do:
- Cover chicken in large stock pot with salted water (about 3-4 Tbsp); Bring to a boil, then lower heat to medium and cook for about 25 min; Place chicken on cutting board to cool.
- While chicken is cooking, place asparagus in a skillet, barely cover with water, sprinkle with salt, and bring to low boil; Cook asparagus until al dente; Drain asparagus and place in a large mixing bowl; Set aside.
- Sauté onion in skillet with 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium heat until softened; Add to mixing bowl with asparagus.
- Shred chicken and place in mixing bowl with asparagus and onions; add olives and about 2 cups of cheese and mix all ingredients together.
- In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat; blend in flour with a wooden spoon; Add chicken broth (reserved from cooking chicken), whisking constantly until thick and bubbly; Add sour cream and green salsa and heat all.
- Preheat oven 350 deg F; wipe bottom and sides of baking dishes with olive oil.
- One tortilla at a time placed in the baking dish, place a generous amount of chicken mixture in the center of the tortilla and spread evenly throughout; drizzle about 3-4 Tbsp sauce inside the enchilada, roll up; Line up the next tortilla and repeat until all of mixture is used up.
- Evenly pour sauce over the top of all enchiladas; Sprinkle with Jack cheese, and then with a dusting of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 25 min or until top turns slightly brown.
- Sprinkle with fresh cilantro and serve.