Italian Lentil Soup
What you need:
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 small zucchini, diced
- 6 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 tsp dry oregano
- 1 cup red wine
- 6 cups beef broth
- 12 oz lentil beans
- 2 cups fresh kale, coarsely ripped
- salt/pepper (to taste)
- 1 package sweet Italian sausage
- Parmesan cheese, grated
- fresh basil
What to do:
- Sauté onion, celery and carrots over medium heat about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic, zucchini, tomatoes, wine and oregano, reduced heat to low and simmer 20 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add beef broth, lentils, salt/pepper, bring to low boil for 30 min.
- While soup is cooking, BBQ sausage thoroughly and cut into slices. If unable to BBQ, steam sausage about 4 min on each side in a covered skillet in about 3/4 inch of water. Remove sausages, slice lengthwise down the middle, place on a foil-lined broiling pan, place on second to highest rack position, and broil until fully cooked and browned… flip them and brown on other side, then cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Add sausage to soup for about 30 min and cook until beans are not crunchy; And kale during the last 10 min.
- Add water if soup becomes too thick and season with salt if necessary.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream and slices of fresh basil to taste.