Chicken in Mushroom-Cream Sauce over Egg Noodles
What You’ll Need:
- 12 oz wide egg-noodles (time to finish cooking just before sauce is done)
- 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 lb Cremini mushrooms sliced or cut into little chunks
- 1/8 cup dry mushrooms (like Porcini or Oyster mushrooms)
- 6-7 cloves garlic, chopped (3 for chicken & 3 for sauce)
- 3 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 1/2 c heavy cream
- 1 1/2 c chicken broth (I prefer to use 1 1/2 tsp “Better Then Bouillon” to 1 1/2 cups water)
- 1/4 cup dry Porcini mushrooms, soaked in chicken broth for 20 min
- 1/8 c fresh Italian parsley, chopped
What To Do:
- Star pot of salted water to cook the pasta in. Cook pasta according to package so it’s finished just before the sauce is finished.
- Rub chicken breasts with 3 cloves of chopped garlic, salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in large skillet at medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown them about 6 min on each side. Does not need to cook through at this point. Remove from heat, set aside.
- In same large skillet, lower heat to medium and melt butter. Remove Porcini or Oyster mushrooms from broth and place in skillet (reserve the broth); Add Cremini mushrooms, 3-4 cloves chopped garlic, 3/4 tsp salt & 1/4 tsp pepper and cook mixture until all mushrooms have softened.
- Add flour and stir for 1 minute.
- Add cream and broth and simmer on low heat for about 15 min stirring frequently. Add a little more flour or Wondra for additional thickening of sauce, if needed.
- Cut up chicken into bitesize pieces, and add to the sauce until just cooked through (no longer pink inside). Season with salt & pepper to taste, if needed. Note: a lot of pepper is GREAT!
- Serve sauce and chicken over egg noodles, and garnish with fresh Italian parsley.